Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My Sons and Karate

It has been almost a year since I posted about Karate and the fact that my sons were going to join and my hope that that would stick with it.

Yesterday (sunday) My eldest son competed in his first karate tournament, his expectation and nerves were high, I had the same nerves but my expectation were not that high.

When my son was born no one prepared me for the moments when as a parent you fret for your child and have to allow them to be a person, yesterday my son went through a range of emotions, and learnt a lot, the first being he was not as good as he thought, some may think this a bad thing.  But he learnt that he has to work hard for something he really wants.

He thought that he would receive a bag of trophies not because he thought he deserved them but because he thought he was good. (I like his air of confidence and knowing that he may not do so well as his coach warned me that he may not go so well, I was not about to burst his bubble). Yesterday was a lesson learnt hard by him and tonight for the first time he went to the second karate practice for the first time. His determination to win is high.

Yesterday I rode every emotion both mine and his, I felt his nerves and I felt his disapointment as he walked away with a lot more than he came with but not something he expected, I was proud, as proud as any mother could be, it takes a lot to get up and go in a competition, and I only wish he could feel how proud I am of him.

One year ago the both of my boys joined Karate and in that time they have together gone up one belt and one of them have competed in a tournament, both are proud of their achievements and it has given them something that I as a parent could not give them, an accomplishment of acheiveing something.

Again I hope for the same thing as this time last year. I hope they continue with it.

Til next time

Happy Reading

Valissa

No comments:

Post a Comment