Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The thought of selling my soul

A long time ago in 2004 when i first started writing my first, now published book, I dreamt that in five years I would be famous and rich, so five years have passed and some more, and I am yet to be rich.

I think most authors dream that they will be a success like Stephanie Meyer or JK Rowling, it would be nice, more than nice.

So far I think I have put more money into my books than I have gained (money wise), in terms of pride and self accomplishment, it has paid me back more than I ever thought it would and probably what keeps me going, that and the fact that I love what I do.

In order for me to do what I do, my wonderful husband supports us and our kids, his job is a two hour drive away, that's one way, not a round trip, so he does a thirteen hour day to support me. When I see him on the couch after tea asleep because he is too tired to go to bed, my heart breaks, he is doing this for me, because I gave up my job to pursue a dream that is still yet to provide a decent income, (one day I hope).

So here I sit at my blog and blog away, there are options to make money on the internet with a website and a blog, and that is advertising, allowing advertisements to make way onto your screen and into the lives of the reader.

If I were to consider this to help supplement my income, am I selling my soul?

I am very tempted to do this, but have a conflict within myself as to whether to allow advertising into my what I deem artistic creation.

Well I am off to do some more writing on a new book and some editing on another I can't decide which to start but leaning more towards starting a new one, I love starting new books.




Well til next time,


Happy Reading


Valissa

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand where you are coming from. I agonized over advertising for a few months, and ultimately decided that, for me, I don't want to have advertising on my blog. I truly feel like it's a form of self expression, and I don't want it being clouded with sponsors and advertisements. But I follow a lot of blogs who DO advertise, and I think it's totally up to the blogger. Whatever you decide will be right for you. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie,
      I still haven't made a decision and thank you for your support, it means a lot.
      I am grateful that I can do this from home and it is truly rewarding as for advertising we shall see.
      Love your blog by the way :)

      Delete