Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Things Change ~ Chapter 3

Chapter 3


As he walked into the café he felt as if all eyes were on him but they weren’t but his imagination and senses fooled him into thinking they were. The smell of the café was a mixture of rich coffee and delicious aroma of good food steaming off of plates, his mouth began to water, the band’s equipment was set up in the corner of the café but they were yet to play, ambient music of their latest self-recorded album played from speakers within the café.


Cindy found a seat that had a reserved sign placed on it and she sat down, he looked around and was instantly glad that she had not chosen the cubicle seats as he simply would not have been able to fit, he sat and commented on how nice the place was.

“I’ve been coming here for close to a year now, I’ve been following the band for close to two, a friend of my sister knows the drummer and I like their music. The café is really nice and they have good food and not overly pricey which is always a bonus.”

A petite redhead came to the table placed a bottle of water in the middle of the table and gave them each a menu that had been tucked under her arm and began to pour water from the bottle into the glasses as she spoke.


“Hey Cindy, how are you today?”


“I’m good thanks Clarisa. Clarisa this is a friend of mine Peter, Peter this is Clarisa one of the finest waitresses I’ve ever had the pleasure of.”


“Stop it, you’re making me blush, hey before I forget to tell you the specials today are seafood linguine and risotto stuffed quail with dessert being a death by chocolate cake with chocolate cream.”


“Mmmm sounds good I may have to treat myself.”


“You always say that but you never do.”


“You got me there.”


“We’ll look at the menu, thanks Clarissa”

Peter looked at her “You don’t treat yourself?”

Cindy smiled “Oh I do, just not with dessert. I always say that just to make Clarissa feel good that she has at least told me about the dessert. I made a pact a long time ago with myself that if I could go one whole month without dessert I would shout myself to a new pair of shoes or a dress and I guess I still do that.”

“But you could have dessert.”

She half smiled at Peter and she wondered how much she could tell him about her past, could she tell him that she was afraid to eat dessert, she knew it was silly but it was a demon that she had fought a long time ago and she knew that the demon was there and that it was easier to not tempt it. She had been strong this long, she wasn’t about to quiver.

“Yes I suppose I could, but I would rather treat myself with other things than food, I remember someone once telling me ‘no food is as good as feeling thin’ and I have always stuck by that.”

Peter was puzzled that she would remember such things she was pretty and skinny and wouldn’t need to watch her weight “But you don’t have any need to remember being thin.”

Cindy shifted uncomfortably in her chair she always felt uncomfortable when someone spoke about her weight, how thin she was, how fat she was, why was the world so obsessed with eating and being fat or being thin, why couldn’t people accept people for who they were. But she knew most people obsessed about food and weight, heavens she should know, she did it, wasn’t that why she got into what she did, to help people, to help herself.

Clarissa came back to the table with order pad and pencil in hand “So what will you guys have.”

Cindy looked at Peter

“You go first.” he said, he wanted to see what she ordered.

“Prawn cocktail and a Mediterranean salad”
Peter looked at the menu wanting the beer battered fish and beer battered wedges “Warm beef salad”

“Do you want that with chips or warm potato with a Chantilly sauce
Umm I’ll have ch…”
Cindy laid a hand on his “Oh Peter try the potato with the sauce its good”

“It is good” Clarissa reiterated

Peter looked down at Cindy’s hand that lingered on his, it seemed so small and petite compared to his large fat hand. “Oh ok well I guess I’ll have that then.”

“Great did you want any drinks?”

“I’ll just stick with water.” Cindy said as she pulled her hand away and began folding the napkin that was in front of her

“I’m good with the water” although he would prefer a beer he thought to himself
As Clarissa left Peter asked the question “So what the hell is Chantilly sauce it sounds fruity.”

Cindy laughed “You’ll like it, it’s a cream based sauce with mustard and vinegar it will go well with your beef salad.”

“So would have the chips.” He joked

The band began and their meal was delivered, Peter was impressed with both and before long the night was drawing to a close and he was wishing that he had more time that he could spend with Cindy, they had a great night and he did indeed like the band and even bought one of their cd’s, he bought it more so that he could play it again and remember the lovely night he had.

She pulled up in front of his house and he suddenly felt nervous he wasn’t sure what the protocol was did he ask her in for a coffee, did he just say thank you, did he give her a kiss, he wanted to.

“Did you want to come in for a coffee or something?”

She smiled slightly, tilted her head and shrugged a little “I would love to but I have an early start in the morning.” She paused as she watched the light in him dull “Would you come again with me next week?”

He smiled and brightened “That would be nice, I had a great time tonight, thank you for asking me.” He paused and looked at her, scared to ask what he wanted to ask “Do you mind if I give you a goodnight thank you kiss on the cheek.”

She laughed and blushed “That would be nice.”

He leaned over and kissed her cheek, she patted his hand “Thank you Peter I had a lovely time tonight, I’ll see you next session.”

“Yes, I’ll see you then.”

He got out and waved her off as she drove away, he almost skipped to his front door. As he entered the door and locked it behind him he smiled, he knew that tonight was the beginning of good things to come.

til next time
Happy Reading


Valissa

No comments:

Post a Comment