Thursday, September 1, 2011

Writing matters

Last Friday I joined a local writing group, I went there with no expectations and sometimes going with no expectations is a good thing because then you don’t become disappointed that it didn’t live up to your expectations or you were so blown away that you couldn’t fully comprehend what was going on.

This was a lovely group with very different writing genre’s and style’s it was good to see and I have to say that I came away having learnt something, people like my writing.

It might be hard to comprehend but I find it hard to accept that people like my writing yet I crave the affection of knowing that people do indeed like it.

One of the ladies said that writing is such a solitary thing and maybe that is why I enjoy writing so much because I am able to have my own thoughts not be disrupted or dictated by others, perhaps it comes from being an only child and being your own best friend, having to be able to amuse yourself.

I’m getting off the track here so please bear with me, writing is a solitary thing and you only have yourself to gauge your own performance, as an employee your boss soon lets you know if you’ve done something wrong, he/she may not necessarily let you know when you’ve done the right thing but the feedback was there for the wrong thing.

So we sat down at the writing group and did a few exercises, writing exercises not stretchy ones (bad joke there!) and they liked what I wrote, I wrote three paragraphs after being given a partial sentence to start with, at first I found it hard, usually I have to think about it, think about the characters, the plot, the scene, how it starts, how it ends, but I had two minutes and admittedly the first try at a story was really lame but the next two they liked both different as each other.

Getting back to people liking my writing, I began writing because I had an urge to get a story out, that might be hard to comprehend for some but I just needed to put it down and then I wanted people to enjoy it because I did and it matters I have tried to kid myself that it doesn’t matter but it does and it feels good to hear that people like what you wrote and that they enjoyed it and that they want to hear more, and that’s what I love about writing, hearing people enjoy reading what I wrote, that I, Valissa Enever had made a special someone, feel good, made them laugh, made them cry, kept them in suspense and that they had an enjoyable time.

As a part of the exercise we had to choose one of the stories that we had started on and continue writing to a climax and present it to the group next month, when I asked which of the two stories they liked, they wanted to see both finished, well I finished one and titled it A dog named Bob.

I’m going to post it for you in a separate blog. Hope you enjoy it.

Don’t forget your comments
Please be kind :)

Til next time
Happy Reading

Valissa

No comments:

Post a Comment