Sunday, October 9, 2011

Beat your own drum

At the start when I debuted my book Hart 2 Heart I was very humble in that I didn't want to get on that soap box and shout to the world to come buy my book, come read my book.

I still find it hard to get on that soap box to promote myself, and my work. I'm not sure why perhaps its a fear, a fear that maybe someone will say its not good, or say what the hell are you doing?A fear of rejection maybe.

But I still get out there, a lot of the time there is fear or anxiety behind it.
I know that there are a few authors out there who feel that way. Even famous people still have a fear of facing the public, thankfully for me they have admitted it and I know there are a few of you out there who feel the same, I've read your biographies and I've read your blogs with all of that self doubt, we all have it, some more than others, sometimes less than before or more than before.

Perhaps somewhere when we were little and we thought that the world revolved around ourselves perhaps we were told that its not about us, that other people came first, well I did anyway, or perhaps its that repetitive, 'Who the hell do you think you are?', 'Who would want to listen to you?'
We all have our similar stories, even if we have only been telling ourselves.

During the past six months when I decided that if I was going to be serious about being an author, I realised that I needed to beat my own drum, no-one else was going to do it.

Dr John Demartini in a seminar once asked. "Do you think that there is a person out there who is dedicated to you, dedicated to get you going in the morning, to get you to do what you want to do, that it is there divine purpose in life to dedicate themselves to you. No. It is up to you to do it." at that time it still didn't sink in.

And there is a song by The Skyhooks that I love - 'Ego is not a dirty word'. When I was younger I didnt know what it meant, of course now I realise the message behind it.

So that six months ago I decided to beat my own drum to promote myself, and so far the results are going forward and I am thankful for that, to see that the effort I am putting in is reaping results.

So why am I sitting here typing away spruking about me beating my own drum?

I hope that you the reader may get something from it.

You may not be an aspiring author, artist, singer, or actor. You may simply want, or need a break in life, that edge that promotes you, a sign above your head that says look at me, give me a hand.

Why?

Because YOU deserve it. I deserve it, we all deserve to have what we would like in life.

So take that confidence and show the world that you are great, that you are special and believe it.
Because you are.

Til next time.

May you smile bright and your dreams come true.

Happy Reading

Valissa

No comments:

Post a Comment