Sunday, October 9, 2011

Things Change ~ Final Chapter

Chapter 8


He sat in the café and waited she may have been back this week he hoped that he would see her, he patted the box that was in his pocket. Yep it was still there, he blew out a breath of relief he was so afraid of losing it before he even gave it to her, it had been four weeks since he had seen her and he hoped that she would be back to see the band, if she didn’t he didn’t know what else he would do.


The past four weeks had been agony, they had gone so slow, she sent a postcard saying that she was having a wonderful time and that she had been snorkelling every day and had even been scuba diving, he wished that he was with her.


She parked the car in the car park and walked to the café she wasn’t certain if he would be in the café but she could only hope that he was, the past four weeks were nice to be away from work but it didn’t fill the void that was left in her heart, she wanted Peter to be there in the Whitsundays with her.


Walking through the door with a little trepidation if he was here she was going to tell him how she felt and that she wanted more from their friendship if he wasn’t here she would go to his home, but she thought that maybe he would be here. Her heart began to hammer and she took in some deep breaths to try and calm her nerves.
The room was crowded and the noise level was louder than usual, the band hadn’t started and their album played overhead, she looked around the room to see if she could spot him.


He saw her come in through the door, it would have been hard to miss seeing as he watched every person who had come through the door, his heart skipped a beat, she was so beautiful even more beautiful than he remembered.


She spotted him sitting in the booth, their eyes met and her heart stopped and skipped a beat as it started back up again she caught her breath and blew out slowly, she was about to lay her heart on the table.


He stood up and kissed her on the cheek. “Nice holiday.”

“Yeah.” She smiled

“Did you want a drink?”

She wanted to get it over with but she was so nervous “Yeah just a water.”
He poured her a glass and brushed his hand over his pocket where he was keeping the box.

She sipped on the water that he poured “So how have you been?”

He smiled, where did he start? “Yeah good.”

When she first took on Peter as a client he was simply a client, one of her rules in being a personal trainer was to not become personally involved and somewhere she crossed the line and by the time she realised she had, it was too late. Her time off in the Whitsundays was to determine if she could go on living without Peter being in her life, she couldn’t. She needed to put her heart on the line.

“Peter there’s something I need to tell you.”

Oh God she didn’t want to know him anymore, he recalled in his mind the item in the box he was going to give her.

She continued “I need to tell you why I got into personal training, when I was little up until my mid-twenties I was fat, doctors labelled me morbidly obese.” She took another sip “Anyway when I was twenty six, my Dad had a heart attack and died as a result, the doctor said that it was his weight that did it, the pressure that was on his heart due to the excess weight he carried was too much for him, he pointed out to me that I too was a prime candidate for a heart attack. So I began the journey of losing weight I took on the personal trainer’s course and studied as a dietician. At the age of twenty nine I became a qualified personal trainer and most likely the only PT who was a virgin.”

She caught the shocked expression in his face, she smiled slightly and shifter nervously in her seat “After I lost the weight there were many men vying for my interest but it only proved to me that they only cared for my looks, I couldn’t get out of the fat suit even though the fat suit was long gone but it remained in my mind. I shut out men until you came along.”

She grabbed his hand, tears were threatening her eyes. “There was something about you that attracted me, and it’s still there, it grows stronger every day, I went on holidays to try and forget you.” The tears rolled down her face, she swallowed the lump that formed in her throat. “I fell in love with you, I am in love with you and I want to be with you, but I need to know if you want to be with me.”
He held her hand as his heart grew and a warm rush flood his entire body, he knew it as love, he had fallen in love with the woman in front of him and she had just declared hers for him.

“Cindy I have a confession too, ever since you walked into my life I’ve had a crush on you and I never thought that someone like you would be interested in a man like me. I wanted to lose weight in the hope that maybe just maybe you would be interested in me, I kept asking you in for a coffee in the hope that things might get to the next level but when things began to happen I got scared.”

He pulled his hand away and took a sip from the glass of water. He ran his finger along the edge of the table. “Once upon a time I had it all, I had a great job, fantastic house, wonderful wife and two beautiful kids and then one day we went for a drive, it was just suppose to be a picnic, a family picnic but a truck went through the intersection I was in a coma for three months, I should have died, so many times since then I wish I had of, I lost everything, my wife and children didn’t survive, I had lost the love of my life, I couldn’t do my job due to my injuries, I fell into deep depression, I tried to end my life many times, I found comfort in food and that added to my disability and hampered any progress that was possible, I gave up.” He stopped talking and looked at Cindy’s face.

She had tears streaming down her face, he had made her cry, he didn’t want to ever see her cry again, he wanted to make her laugh, to make her smile.

“Then you came along, you put sunshine into the deepest darkest corners of my heart where I thought it would never shine again. When you went on holidays I wanted to go with you, I was so scared that you would never come back. I bought something for you while you were away.”

He reached into his pocket and bought out the rectangular box. “It’s suppose to represent friendship and love”

She gasped at the rectangular box before she even opened it “Oh Peter I don’t know what to say”

“Open it”

She opened the box to reveal a gold necklace with ruby set in gold heart pendant. No longer could she see the necklace as they blurred beneath the tears that welled in her eyes. “Peter it’s beautiful”

He smiled “just like you, shall I put it on”

“No I want to wear it”

He laughed and got up, “I meant would you like me to put it on you, for you.”

“Oh” she laughed realising what he meant “Yes, please.” She took the necklace from the box and handed it to him and held up her hair.

He clasped the necklace on and took advantage of her bare neck kissing it lightly, she turned to him.

“Cindy, this is all new to me, its been so long since I have dated or been with a woman but I promise to love you and be there for you, I don’t think I could bare being parted from you, do you think we can be together.”

“As boyfriend and girlfriend or husband and wife?”

He gave a nervous laugh “well I was considering proposing to you but I thought that was a really big step but yes I was thinking it”

“Yes, Peter, yes” she held his face in her hands and kissed him.

Although they were oblivious, the band started the evenings first song, Endless Love.


The End.


I hope that you have enjoyed this short story it has been a joy to write.


For the next couple of months I will be concentrating on the Crystal Hart Series, there will be a Christmas short story that I will blog in the month of December so keep an eye out for that.


Still stay tuned in to my blog who knows what I will post.


Til next time.


Happy Reading


Valissa

No comments:

Post a Comment